This week’s portions are: Deuteronomy 1:1-3:1, Isaiah 1:1-21, Matthew 24:1-22
Additional study on this week’s Parashah can be found by listening to Tom Bradford at Torah Class: Lessons 1-4 will cover our text (Deut 1:1-3:1)
A resource my sons have particularly enjoyed was the Bible Project. This ministry based out of Portland, Oregon has used graphic novel type visuals and Youtube videos to explain historical and biblical concepts. This video is only about 8 minutes long but provides a fantastic overview of the book of Isaiah and can help us to gain perspective into our Haftarah portion, Isaiah 1:1-21, leading us into Isaiah’s vision, the wickedness of Judah, and the degenerate city.
Finally, our gospel portion, Matthew 24:1-22 is the text where Yeshua discusses the destruction of the temple and the Abomination of Desolation. This is a very appropriate text as we are ushering in T’isha B’Av, the 9th of Av.
Notable events of this historic date include:
1. The Spies Returned With a Bad Report
2. Both Holy Temples Was Destroyed
3. The Battle at Betar Was Lost – the end of the Bar Kochba revolt and massacre of Jews by the Romans.
the end of the Bar Kochba revolt and massacre of Jews by the Romans.
4. The Romans Plowed the 2nd Temple – Beit HaMikdash
5. The Jews Were Expelled From England
6. The Jews Were Banished From Spain
7. Both World Wars Began